Monday 30 July 2007

Iraq Soccer Team "Lions of the Two Rivers" Wins Asia Cup

The Iraqi team, known as the "Lions of the Two Rivers" beat three-time champions Saudi Arabia 1-0 in its first appearance in the Asian Cup final.
"The players have made us proud, not the politicians. Once again, our national team has shown that there is only one, united Iraq."

Jorvan Vieira, the present coach of the Iraqi team. He should be given the Iraqi nationality for his honest efforts to our country. He studied our players and showed a good understanding of their difficulties and the problems we have back at home. He said talking about the war the following:

"Some of them, if they go to Iraq, they are going to be killed," Vieira said of our team. "When you don't know where your home is, where your things are, you are lost in space. It's the same when you have no organization in your house. You don't know where you put your socks or your trousers. It's the same here. They are lost people because of the war."

Now have a look at how he described the job he has done:

"They've been through so much. The players are so strong, but sometimes too strong. They have so much pain that I have to be not only a coach, but a psychologist, a father, and a friend to them. They are a very good example of unity to the Iraqi people."

I believe his determination to win was also an important factor for this historical achievement:

"I have to be confident about winning. I can't talk about my problems, and say we'll do nothing, because I am not a loser. I've lost very few times in my life."
Now look at his humanity and modesty:
"The congratulations should not go to me. It should go to my players, my staff who are working behind me," a humble Vieira told a press conference after our team's stunning 3-1 victory over Australia "Because without these people I can not do anything. I'm not a magician," he explained.

Vieira also talked about how every player was busy with himself at the beginning and his first task was to get them all together, the Shia, the Sunnis, and the Iraqi Kurds and to be united playing for their country..
"I tried to unify them. Now they are together, they kiss each other, they shake each others' hands. They are not fighting or talking politics. They accepted my way. I am not a magician, but I know football can change people."
Vieira thank you, you are a brother!


Our football team behind our Iraqi flag celebrating their wins

Lions of the Two Rivers

No comments: